Saturday, November 9, 2013

I Want To Like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D - But I Just Don't



I tried. I really wanted to like Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. but I don't. Take the other night for instance. I fired it up on the DVR, watched the first couple of minutes, then picked up my laptop and starting looking at other things while the show played. What the show was about or how it ended, I have no idea because I didn't care. Crap! I wanted to care but can't.

Clark Gregg is fine as agent Coulson but was more of a clever scene stealer when he had bit parts in the big Marvel movies. He's not a large enough personality to be a TV shows biggest star. And I really like Ming-Na Wen as Melinda May because she really is able to bring mystery, depth, and sensuality in a part that is severely underwritten. Wikipedia has her at about 50 years old which is amazing.

But the rest of the cast - yikes! - gawd awful, especially Chloe Bennett and the two scientists that speak with Irish accents. If ever a show could use a retooling, it is this one. 

The show is set to record new episodes on the DVR but I am running out of patience. It's not hard to delete a timer. 

Actually, The Goldbergs, the comedy following Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is a far, far better show.

No comments:

Post a Comment